Delhi is spread over an area of 1497 sq. km, it is one of the greenest metros in the country. The city has experienced tremendous growth in the recent times, with increased pressure on its open spaces. Delhi Development Authority (DDA), the first Urban Development Authority in India, has played a key role in overall development and management of its green spaces, with conscious efforts towards the development of open spaces as Regional parks, District parks, Green Belts and Neighbourhood greens etc. with many small and big parks under its jurisdiction, DDA has kept its commitment of upgradation and maintenance of green areas, which form the lungs of the city; with its recent efforts towards development of Bio-diversity parks, river front development, reclamation of sanitary landfill sites and rejuvenation of water bodies and revival of lakes.
- Designing and policy decision related to Regional Parks as per norms laid down in the Master Plan.
- Designing of all the District Parks under the jurisdiction of DDA, along with Neighborhood Parks, Playfields, Children Parks.
- Special projects like Bio-diversity Parks, River Front Development, Reclamation of sanitary landfill sites- Indraprastha Park, Aastha Kunj and Heritage projects like Tughlaqabad have also been taken up by the DDA. The concept of water harvesting and conservation of rainwater, recharging of groundwater aquifers is an integral part of planning of various Greens.
In the process of designing and upgradation of green areas, efforts have been put to incorporate design features for differently abled people. DDA has considered and has been able to integrate such special features in their landscape design. These design features are introduced in entrance plaza, kids play area, sitting area and pathways. For example, entrance Plaza of Millennium Park provides ramps for the ease of access to all people with special needs.
- The new wave of using eco-friendly concepts and materials in DDA greens has been materialized by installing bamboo shelters in Reserve forests, Regional parks and protected forests.
- Toilets and dustbins were installed in the parks and playfields in the Swachh Bharat Program.
- The introduction of open gym concept has been initiated for a better public health in parks.
- Children play equipment has been proposed with fiber glass material for safety purpose.
- Documentation for Review of Environment Chapter of MPD 2021.
- Documentation of Formulation of Mandate of UCCRY and final notification of UCCRY.
- Modification of terms and conditions of the policy ‘Adoption of Park’ Scheme.
- Promoting artwork in DDA parks with external expert members.
- Promoting Green Delhi Clean Delhi concept in parks.
- The total area of Delhi State is 1,48,639 hec., with 4,777 ha. under urban cover.
- Even as the green areas in Delhi are managed by different agencies, DDA has the largest role to play with over 5050
ha. under its jurisdiction.
- The green cover area in Delhi is 19 percent of the total area, which is much larger than in other cities and makes Delhi one of the greenest cities.
- DDA has done exemplary work in protecting Delhi's natural environment on the ridge and on the Yamuna River Front. It has
maintained the green gardens around historic monuments. It has created a network of innumerable parks and playfields that purify the environment
and give joy to the city of Delhi.
Above all, DDA has turned wastelands into beautiful manicured parks, reclaiming for Delhi the title of "City of Gardens".
- DDA has taken the initiative to secure a greener and cleaner Delhi and is balancing the inexorable expansion of the city by tree plantation and the laying of parks and gardens.